Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Positive Affirmations

The Orange Rhino group gave me this challenge for Day 10 of my "30 Days to Yelling Less" Challenge:

Day #10's assignment:  Surround yourself with positive reinforcement.  Share your positive affirmations with others.  All day tell yourself positive affirmations:  "I believe I can change.  I know I can do this.  I have the strength to change.  I can use a calm voice."

Here is the post I shared on the group blog:

I too really like Mason’s affirmation, “Inhale: Love is patient. Exhale: Love is kind.” I will try to remember to say that one. Sometimes I feel like I don’t get to pick what sticks in my brain though, and so I just have to go with what sticks–for me, I have an affirmation that is working really well lately. It’s this:

“I don’t yell anymore.”

Another one that has been really motivating for me is one that was suggested in a recent email or post. It’s this one:

“They’re just kids. And I love them.”

It reminds me of a time when I was caught complaining about some people that I associated with–I was bringing up their flaws and criticizing them for being less than perfect. My friend kindly replied to me in their defense, “They’re just people.” I thought that was an awesome sentiment, and a great reason to always give people the benefit of the doubt, rather than kicking them while they’re down. So, thanks for reminding me that forgiveness is a GREAT GREAT thing.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I applaud you for your continued effort! When I slip up, I know it is easy to say, "I'm never going to get this right. I'm not perfect at it, so I'm just going to quit." I love your affirmations. Keep up the good work! You can do it!

xo -E