Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Orange Rhino: Letting Go

The Orange Rhino asked: 

Letting go is HARD (that is an understatement) but powerful and oftentimes needed. What can you let go of so that you don’t remain annoyed?

My answer:

      Wow, this is a hard one. I am really not good at letting things go. But since I’ve been successful and am now on day 29 of not yelling, I must have learned to let SOMETHING go! I believe I have let go of having to let my “right” answer be accepted all the time.
       I would like to choose something else to let go of from today on though, so I can be that much more at ease…and I am choosing to let go of dinner.  It was always a major trigger to me when someone would complain about what I fixed. Each person in my family has a list of foods that they don’t like, and no one’s list is the same, it’s almost a guarantee that someone is going to hate what I made. I will let this go. What’s most important to me at dinnertime is that we have a few minutes to be all together, and I would love it if that time was fight-free. SO, I am going to let go of my expectations to please anyone/everyone with my meals. If they like it, fine, if they hate it, whatever, I will not be offended. I will just do my best, enjoy the other 5 bodies around the table, and realize that what I’ve done by making their meal is contributing to our future feelings of love and friendship and togetherness as a family. I mean, I will try.
      I believe it will still hurt my feelings to have what I’ve made for them be rejected or frowned upon, but I know it’s the food they dislike, not me or my love.

What about you?



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Jenna, good for you! I'll bet it feels good to set a goal and accomplish it! Letting go is really important. But it is SO hard. Deciding what the priority is, really helps. I'm still working on my "not yelling" journey too. I don't like the conflict, so that is my motivation to keep my cool when things get tough. Thanks for sharing your successes (and struggles). Love you!

xo -E