Saturday, October 23, 2010

Something Bad and Something Good

Yesterday was quite a day for us.  We spent the night in the ER to get Jazz through a kidney stone passing.  The attack came on at about 11:15 p.m., about 1/2 an hour after I had fallen asleep on the couch while we were watching our favorite show together, Smallville.  He had had stones about 4 years ago, so he recognized the signs and we acted quickly--asked our our neighbor upstairs to come down to watch the kids so we could rush over to the emergency room.  For about an hour and a half he was in excruciating pain, before the pain meds finally did any good.  In the end we were there for about 4 hours, which included them doing a scan and finding out that this was the only stone currently invading, and none others are in sight for now.   Poor Jazz...my opinion is that this is worse than baby labor, because you DON'T get a baby in the end!  He's doing much better now, just living in fear of the next one, that's all.  The doctor confessed that since this is his 3rd or 4th time, he can be affectionately known now as a  "stone former".  Not something you want to be remembered as, you know? 

    But something good happened yesterday, too.  I got to go to the Portland temple for my first time.  I was really excited, because we've lived here 4 years and I hadn't been inside yet.  I got to do baptisms with our Relief Society sisters.  I was worried about going since I had only had 3 1/2 hours of sleep the night before, but it was great. 
    The coolest part for me was getting to be a missionary while I was there.  There was a man inside the temple with his little girl--visiting a very pretty atrium room inside the temple waiting area.  He stopped to talk with me, as I was also alone in there looking around.  He said "This place is amazing!  Are you having worship services here right now?"  I explained the difference between a temple and a church. 
    He told me that he's Glen Beck's #1 fan and that he just found out that he's a mormon, so he came to check out this temple that he had seen before.  He said he wants to learn more about the mormons.  --Can we say, "Music to my ears?"  Or, we could say, "asking Jenna if she'd be willing to share what she believes is like asking her if she'd like some chocolate chip cookies".   
    So I told him about the missionaries, and he gave me his phone number and I gave him mine, and then I grabbed a passalong card (with a number for the missionaries) from the temple's front desk for him, and I gave a temple schedule to his daughter since it had a picture of the "princess castle" on the front.   It was really cool!  He also told me that his wife is having a baby next week : ).  I told him I'd call him later to see how he's doing, and he was really appreciative of our conversation.  I was very excited about it, and look forward to talking with him again.   I love being  a missionary.

7 comments:

Jennifer Lovell said...

Cynthia said:

Jazz called yesterday and told me about his ordeal. I'm so sorry about that!!! Thank heavens you have good neighbors!

What a neat story at the temple Jenna! Very quick thinking! I'm glad you got to go to the temple. Did you get to go into the Celestial Room? (FYI) Anytime you do an ordinance, you can go into Celestial Room--even if you aren't in your robes or haven't done a session. Maybe you already know that, but that's what they've been telling us in the temple. Good Job!

Jennifer Lovell said...

LOVELL FAMILY said:

Jenna...really cool experience! So sorry for Jazz!

Richard and Allison said...

Sorry to hear about Jazz that does not sound like fun. I love the Portland Temple. That is where I am from and where me and Richard got married. It is beautiful and probably one of my favorites, if you can have a favorite temple.

Anonymous said...

What a horrible and great story!! Hopefully both stories continue with happy endings! We're excited to see you guys soon!

Radene said...

That is so neat about your missionary experience. Give us an update when you talk with him. Way to go!

Lindsay said...

Oh dang! That poor guy. I can't imagine. Nice work Missionary!! I need to do better.

Ellis said...

Doesn't sound fun for Jazz. Awesome about the missionary experience.