Saturday, October 29, 2011

Silver Linings and My Pocket Full of Change

I just found this beautiful song on Nienie's blog and thought it would be a nice complement to the "Love/Hate" post that I had in the works.  So I'm putting them in one post together.  It's a great blessing to be able to see the silver lining to our dark clouds, isn't it?  And yet, sometimes it's still fun to list pros AND cons to things that we enjoy.  So, here's to seeing both sides of the coins in our pockets full of change : )! 




Re: Not having my own car
LOVE: being forced out of my element ("I can do hard things"), the extra exercise, fresh air, and being independent ("I don't NEED that, I am creative and can get things done anyway.")
HATE: feeling embarrassed about it sometimes.  having to ask for a ride occasionally.  sometimes not being able to do what I'd choose to do if I did have a car.

LOVE: Our new home in Pennsylvania!  And "living in the country" is so refreshing, quiet, and we love the farm lands.
HATE: Having to drive so far to get to church.  We used to live a 12-minute drive from our stake center/ward building, now we're an hour from our stake center, and 25 minutes from our ward building.  I wouldn't mind it as much if the kids didn't whine about it every week!  It doesn't help that 2 of our kids consistently get car sick (including vomiting on occasion).

LOVE: that I've still been able to keep up my exercise habit 5-6 days per week, despite not having a gym membership anymore.
HATE: that I haven't played racquetball once since we left Oregon.  Waaaah : '(.

LOVE: noticing the differences in the way people talk around here.  Such as the "upside down" intonations of their questions, the different vocabulary words ("yous" instead of "you guys"), and the funny pronunciations (Lancaster = LANG-kister,   Lebanon = LEB'nun), etc.
HATE: that I still don't understand the difference between a city, a township, and a borough.  Maybe I'll get the hang of that someday.

LOVE: Tootie's preschool class.  Tootie LOVES it too!
HATE:  that it's only 3 days a week, 2 hours per day.  We could use an extra few hours...2 hours a day 5 days a week would be nice, or 3 hours a day 4 days a week like we had last year would be awesome.  It's hard for us to fill up all the other hours of the week with good stuff to do while the other kids are in school.

LOVE:  reading good books.
HATE: not finding time enough to read.

LOVE: massages.
HATE: that no one is giving me one right now!  ha ha ha : )

LOVE:  my Stampin' Up! business.
HATE: that I am currently in the "find new customers or die" stage...again.  Hopefully for the last time though (at least for a long time).

HATE:  Snow.  That cold yucky (albeit pretty) stuff that is falling from our sky right now.
LOVE: Seeing my kids get so excited about snow, and knowing that they're going to make me hate it a little less as we find joy playing in it this weekend, and for the next few months, probably!

HATE: Messes in my house.
LOVE: Being a Stay-at-home-Mom!!!

DISLIKE: Halloween...Not my favorite holiday.
LOVE: Candy (Not burning it off later though).  And, seeing my kids have fun dressing up.  I don't love doing that now that I'm "old", but I know it's fun for kids.  I love that I have 4 amazing kids that keep me enjoying things that I've outgrown.  

As for counting my blessings, I think my life is almost pretty much perfect.  I am so happy with where we are right now.  Life changes a little bit every day, and I love the direction it is going.  I'm so happy to be me.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Love this post. I love your consistent effort to be positive. Hillary Weeks is a favorite of mine, but I hadn't heard that song. Made me cry good tears.

Claudia C said...

I loved the way you wrote this. That reminds me of feelings I had when I moved last time. I adapted quickly, but it was hard to change surroundings and comforts the last time we moved to a new place. So I understand your need to get this out of you and into some kind of written form. It probably is good therapy for you to write this. It will help you accept the changes more quickly to share your feelings.

Cynthia Lovell said...

LOVE the post!!! Love your attitude!!! We're glad you're Happy!!! Beautiful song too.

Amy Lovell said...

Ha, I love that you don't love Halloween either, SO not a holiday I look forward to. Hope you're having fun in the snow...wow, that's a little too early, but that's just a good excuse to get to sip hot chocolate a little longer this winter!

Clark said...

That was fun to read. I hate snow too, unless I'm in the mountains on the ski slopes. I love that it doesn't snow very much here.

blogster said...

LOVE: My sister.
HATE: That she lives so far away :(

Radene said...

Great post. I just saw Hillary perform this song at Time Out for Women. Glad you are seeing so many silver linings. We have loved Pennsylvania too!

Lovell Family said...

awesome post! That song made me cry...whenever I think I"m having a rough day, I should think of that! It's all worth it when you see the view!

Elizabeth said...

How did I miss this?

Thank you so much! Loved that song. You'll see it on my blog on Sunday. And I loved the pocket full of change analogy.

Love: you!
Hate: we live so far apart.

xo -E