Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I'm Picky, Are You?

 
I never thought of myself as a picky eater, until recently, when I made a discovery:  I am a picky eater.  

I used to think picky eaters were the kids in my family, who won't eat half of what is served to them (or less than half), or the adults in my family that don't like all of the same foods that I like.  I thought that if someone else was doing the cooking, I would eat just about anything, and anyone who doesn't like my cooking is just simply ungrateful.

I know I'm not the world's best chef (which is understandable since I don't even aspire to be considered a chef of any sort--cooking is my least favorite chore), but why would it matter if:
-I didn't follow a recipe exactly?
-I don't use the same recipe you're used to?
-I included an ingredient or two that doesn't TASTE good to you?  (ham, tomatoes, or noodles--heaven forbid, etc.)
-I burnt the food just a teeny tiny eensy teensy bit?
-I brought home the generic brand instead of your favorite name brand food?

In my mind, those were all the characteristics of a picky eater.  None of those quirks bother me in the least.

BUT, I finally recently realized and decided that I have to be in the picky eater's club, whether I like it or not...just for different reasons.

You see, for me, it generally doesn't matter if something doesn't taste quite right, or look quite right even.   But I discovered that I do have two criteria that all of my food choices center around: is the food A) "healthy" enough, or B) is it so incredibly delicious that I will let the health-aspect slide (and this usually only applies to sugary foods).  Oh, and C)-if the food is overpriced, I probably don't want to buy it (this doesn't apply to wonderful restaurants, where the atmosphere makes up the cost difference). 

Even if it tastes kind of yucky...if it's good for me, I will love it.  Brussel sprouts, tofu, whole wheat everything, fat free/light/low calorie--bring it on.  On the other hand, if it's not good for me, please don't offer it (unless it's sugary).  Extra butter on the popcorn--are you trying to kill me?  Deep fried whatevers?  Get me out of here!  White bread? Pass, but thanks anyway.  Greasy cheesy pizza?  Well, if you'll lighten up on the cheese, make the crust thin, and load it up with vegetables (and less greasy meat), then I'll probably eat 4 slices ; ).

I'm hoping to discover that everyone is picky in their own way.  That will make me feel better for realizing I've been in the picky eater's club all along.

So I'm just wondering...what kind of eater are you?  Picky with taste, picky with nutrition, picky with ingredients, picky with where the recipe came from, picky with cost?  Does this thought represent you: "I don't care how healthy it is, as long as it tastes good"?  What matters most or doesn't matter to you?  (Please reply...pretty please?)

6 comments:

regan said...

Oh yes.....picky here, too! But mine is usually about texture. I don't do any kind of slimey.....raw fish, oysters, flan, melted cheese.....all gross! The commercials that show pizza with the string of cheese 2 feet long.....makes me gag! Also, absolutely no fat or gristle on meat or chicken.....if there is the slightest bit.....I'm done with it! Nothing worse than biting into a piece of fat! Yuk! Again....it's a texture thing.

And hey....were you putting brussel sprouts in the 'yucky' catagory? .....cuz they are awesome! Love em! They're like candy to me! lol

controlling craziness said...

I've gotten less picky as I grow up. Now I actually eat some vegetables. Also, I am not as picky when it comes to brands and seasonings.
I never knew we were the same kind of chef (or non-chef). I do all those things too and expect my family to eat what I cook.
Good for you that you can eat any healthy thing - I think that is the best kind of picky.

blogster said...

For me one of the big picky points is how much time I invest in the food. Is preparing this meal going to require 45 minutes of scrubbing pans and counters afterward? Not my kind of meal.

Elizabeth said...

I am definitely a picky eater. Where to start? Seafood. I don't like seafood, except for tuna fish, which is sort of ironic, since it is the "fishiest" tasting fish there is. I will eat one or two shrimp with lots of sauce, but it's not my favorite. When we go out and my husband has fish, I always try a little bite just to make sure I'm not being ridiculous about the whole thing, but I do not like seafood.

I am definitely a taste/texture picky eater. I like things to be "just right" every time. If I've planned to make something and don't have all the ingredients, I usually will wait to make it until I can get to the store. I like consistency. I like to be able to count on my food tasting the same every time. No substitutions allowed (lol) and since I'm doing the cooking, I suppose I can be as fussy as I want, right?

I love most sweets. There are a few exceptions. I don't like nuts in most things (banana nut bread being the exception to the exception) and I don't like raisins that have been cooked. No oatmeal raisin cookies for me or raisins in the cinnamon rolls, thank you very much. I do like raisins on their own (I have a few little snack boxes of them in my drawer at work, in case I get hungry) and I also like them in vanilla ice cream (something I discovered on my mission; I know it sounds weird, but it is good).

Vegetables are not my favorite either. I do serve them with every meal, but there isn't a great variety. Green beans or broccoli are usually what we have. My favorite way to eat vegetables is in a casserole type dish, where there is a little bit of seasoning to help them along. I love to make chicken or beef pot pie and that has corn, carrots and peas in it besides the green beans. I also like to make minestrone, which has all sorts of vegetables I wouldn't eat by themselves, but with spices and seasonings and all the flavors mixing together, I love it.

Salad is another picky spot. I just do not like iceberg lettuce. You might as well go out in the back yard and eat grass for all the nutrition you're getting. And it is about as digestible as grass. I've been doing salads for my lunch a few times a week, and I like the "fancy" salad mixes (which, interestingly enough, have dandelion greens in them, but they call them by a different name) mixed half-and-half with spinach. I put mandarin oranges, cucumber slices, a little bit of Parmesan cheese and grilled chicken on top and then have homemade poppy seed dressing, which is just yummy.

Just another word about spinach; if I go out to eat and my sandwich comes with iceberg lettuce, I will ask if they can substitute spinach. I like it way better that way.

I am trying to be more health-conscious of what I eat. I try (but not always succeed) to have fruits and veggies for snacks. I love those little clementine oranges and carrot and celery sticks are fun to munch on.

I'm looking forward to the summer season, when I can cook with better tasting fresh ingredients. I love zucchini cooked into things and have six or seven favorite zucchini recipes that I'll make throughout the summer. I also love to get a big watermelon, cut it up into chunks and have that to snack on. Well have corn on the cob bought from the local farmer's produce stands. And I can't wait for the nectarines on the neighbors tree and the raspberries in my yard to be ready.

Despite it all, some days, a nice bowl of chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup and Oreo crumbs on top hit the spot. But I'm working on not eating so may carbs, especially simple carbs. I love white bread, though. And, as I mentioned, I have a sweet tooth. I suppose it is all about finding the right balance.

xo -E

Lovell Family said...

Hmmm....I don't consider myself picky, but maybe I am. Generally I love to try new foods, and everthing tastes better to me if I don't have to cook it. However, we've been invited to our neighbors house for rashashanna (i don't think I spelled that right) and the food they offered, that I'm not used to (chicken liver pate, stinky fish), I just couldn't stomach it without gagging. So in other's eyes, I could very well be picky!

Amy Lovell said...

Mmmm, I just love food, but when it comes to meatloaf, I'm picky. I think it's disgusting. And oddly enough, I usually prefer my own cooking over others, simply because I know what's in it...and I just really love to cook. Maybe we need to hang out so I can convince you cooking/baking is actually really fun, and not a "chore".