Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm singin' in the rain

Here's an excerpt from a letter I just wrote to my friend. I thought you might like to read it too. ...Did you all know I am taking voice lessons again? I love it. I am only taking once a month, because that's all I can do right now,, but it's ok at my level of experience. My accompanist is a friend of mine, and she said I should pay her in cards! How cool she is.

(So, how is your singing practice going?)-- I think singing practice is going really well, thank you! I'm enjoying it. I think it would be nice if I could meet with my teacher more often, but... I've been practicing 2-4 hours a week anyway, and I love the improvement I'm feeling.
Did I tell you that I've joined another choir?  I heard about them recruiting new members for a performance they have coming up; they're going to perform Handel's Messiah in April! I love singing that music so much, and am so excited about the concept of doing it for Easter instead of just Christmas, I just had to be a part of their
group. I was fortunate that their rehearsals (Sundays from 4-6) and concert time (April 2) were times that I could manage. I recruited some members from our ward choir, too. It's a small group of only about 30 members, and I really like the director a lot, and that's one of the most important things for me. The Symphony Chorus that I'm in is also now getting ready for a May concert, starting this week, so from now through April 2nd I'll be rehearsing with two groups.
I have been selected to be the soloist to sing "Rejoice Greatly Oh Daughter of Zion" in the Messiah concert, which in my opinion is THE soprano solo of the whole work, which makes me feel super cool. Woohoo! For my Symphony Chorus concert I don't have any solos, but the morning after that concert in May, I am driving down for one more concert in California with my old choir, where I will be the featured soloist in the song "Weepin' Mary", which my husband arranged for orchestra, solo soprano, and chorus. It's my favorite song to sing. That is going to be a super fun concert, too. I am learning all of their music on my own so I can join their choir too (not just for Weepin' Mary). We're doing almost all John Rutter and Mack Wilberg music (won't it be great if Mack is there? I know he and the director of the CA choir are good friends). I'm so excited that I get to go. Did I tell you that a friend of mine here has agreed to go with me (and will be bringing one of her kids, one of Sharky's buddies), just so that I can make the drive and not be on my own? I'm so grateful to her. I'm definitely having a great time with singing, and have so much fun stuff coming up.
I'll write more in a separate letter. I have extra time to write today because I'm home from church with one sick kid (Didi), one kid who pretended to be sick to get out of going to church (Goldie), and one baby who will be happy to get his nap on time since we're letting him skip too (Tootie) : ).
Love!
Jenna

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Jenna, I love how singing makes you so happy. Music is truly one of Heavenly Father's greatest blessings. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Love you! -E