Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm a Spanish Teacher

Who knew I'd ever end up being an elementary school teacher?  Not me.  I teach Spanish at my kids' elementary school for a couple of hours each week.  I have very small classes--just about 12 students total (including my 3 older kids).  I love it!  I think the kids in my classes are amazing and so cute, ranging in age from kindergarten to 5th grade.  I like being the one in charge, I like having such a neat space to work in, and most of all, I love seeing the kids gain a small Spanish vocabulary over time.  We play games, sing songs, make flash cards...and the parents pay me directly, which is nice for me : )  (I'm not actually hired by the school district, I rent the space from the school.  It's a nice little "extra income" for us).   I got this job in a funny way--I started out just as a parent with kids in the class; then I took on the role of parent program coordinator and I helped to hire the teachers when others stepped down; and then when one teacher quit mid-year, I decided to give it a whirl.  And now I'm doing it, and loving it!  I just wanted to share with you that little part of me, 'cause it's fun, and I for one am surprised and happy learning that it's something that I can do that I didn't know I could do.

7 comments:

Cynthia Lovell said...

This is GREAT Jenna!!! We're Proud of you!!! Good Job!!!

Melanie said...

What a wonderful blessing and fun thing to do.

Ellis said...

I remember having a Spanish teacher in 6th grade come into my class for a couple hours a week or something. It was quite fun. That's really fun that you're doing this.

Elizabeth said...

What a fun thing to do! I especially like the singing songs part. I found children's songs in Brasil really interesting. This is so cool that you get to teach. What do the kids call you? Seniora Jenna?

xo -El

Lindsay said...

That is awesome that you get to use your Spanish!

Anonymous said...

I would love for my kids to learn spanish from you!!

Bryan Elkins said...

I know how cool it is to teach your mission language. I taught German in Charleston at the Baptist College and tutored a businessman on the side. I loved it.