Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Beautiful and Healthy

I presented to my youth group of girls tonight at the church a lesson on how to recognize and cherish "real beauty". It's a subject that means a lot to me, and I hope I was able to pass on some true ideas that will help them.  

We discussed a lot of important ideas, and then we made a craft together:  I had them decorate large paper hearts, and on the back we glued a little list of what we decided helps bring out true beauty.  I told them to keep it in their dresser drawer so that they can discover it often, and re-read the list for years to come, so that they can always remember how beautiful they are!  Here is the message we glued on the back of their hearts:


 
BEAUTIFUL AND HEALTHY
That’s what I am!

  1. I think nice thoughts about myself.
  2. I don’t talk badly about myself in my mind. 
  3. I don’t say negative things out loud that are critical of my body, or anyone else’s body.
  4. I know that magazine cover pictures aren’t always true to life!
  5. I “fight for fitness!”  I set goals to keep myself active.
  6. I compliment others on their beautiful character traits, not just how they look.
  7. I know that there are other important things to think about besides how I look, such as being kind, doing well in school, helping others, and choosing the right.
  8. I believe in serving others, which helps me feel good about myself.
  9. I am picky with what media ideas I view and accept.  I choose media that values women for their talents and personality, and that present women in real-life ways.  I reject and run away from media messages that show women in inappropriate and unrealistic ways.
  10. I promise to set a good example for others by not being critical of myself or of others.
  11. I know that being beautiful and healthy means more than just how I look!

Here's me with one of the most beautiful people in my world, my Grandma Limb!
 Here's to all of the truly beautiful people in this world who inspire us!



P.S.  I also shared a quote from the following talk, and gave copies of it to the girls that were interested in reading it to pass off a requirement for their Faith in God program.  It's a great talk for all women!  It's called "To Young Women", by Elder Jeffrey Holland.



           



4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been thinking about this a lot in the last few weeks! Beauty is really who you are and not what you look like. I love your list of ways to be beautiful.

xo -E

regan said...

What a valuable lesson for those young girls to learn and be inspired by. There is so much around them that promotes negativity, poor attitudes and low character. They are surely bombarded by it daily.....so a lovely daily reminder in there drawer of how special they are will surely help keep them above all of that! Well done!

Melanie said...

Well done and well said. Hopefully others will be able to use this wonderful lesson to help more girls and women.

Amy Lovell said...

Such a cute idea. I may have to steal it for one of our activities...I've long since lost the gumption of being good at my calling. I have 12 girls and just me and it's OVERWHELMING!